Tuesday, March 4, 2008

TIME MEANS MONEY

ಶ್ರೀ. ವಿಶ್ವೇಶ್ವರಯ್ಯ
Poor time sense, looks like this is my birth right!! I hold a record for making my friend wait in our college campus for 1 ½ hour! This was 3 years back. My friend Shruthi Ananthram had all the patience to wait for me. I believe very few people get such huge amount of patience.
Recently I read a book on Sir M. Vishveshwaraih’s life and works. I really felt inspired by his calculative time sense. Sir. M. V is known for his discipline, honesty, hard work and soft nature. His sincerity did not have borders. Sir. M. V had such a good time sense. That’s the reason I think he built the Krishna Raja Sagara dam in Mysore in such a methodical way and even today crores of people are being benefited by it.
Coming to Sir. M. V’s time sense. Here is an instance which I read from the book. Sir. M. V always encouraged education. He had a routine of giving each student 100Rs, whoever scored first class in 10th std exams, in his home town Muddenahalli. Once a boy who was his relative scored good marks. Sir. M. V was happy and invited the boy to his residence for dinner at 8pm.
The boy was celebrating his success with his friends and came at 8.45pm. By then Sir. M. V had already finished his dinner and told the boy to finish his dinner and meet him. Later when the boy came, Sir. M. V handed over an envelope. The boy opened the envelope and was shocked to see only 25Rs in it! So Sir. M.V’s answer to the boy was “since you were 45min late, I have deducted 3/4th of prize money. Time means money. Remember this through out your life”!!
Sir. M.V’s words did have an impact on me. For some one working in a media industry like me, now I realize the value of time. Though initially maintaining time sense was a difficult task, each time I remembered the above words of the country’s greatest engineer and I am glad to declare that my time sense has improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment